The Thilawa Special Economic Zone


Menu Bar Background


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Is the Thilawa SEZ only for Japanese investors?

A: No. The Thilawa SEZ is developed jointly by the Myanmar and Japanese governments and private companies; however, it is a general purpose Special Economic Zone for investors from any country. The Thilawa SEZ has so far receieved investors from Japan, China, Thailand, U.S.A, Myanmar, and Sweden.

Q. Does an investor in the Thilawa SEZ need to get an investment permit from the Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC)?

A: No. Investors in the Special Economic Zones in Myanmar are not under the ambit of the Foreign Investment Law, but under the Special Economic Zone Law, hence, they need to get the investment permit from the Management Committee of the respective Special Economic Zones, where they invest.

Q: In addition to application for Investment Permit, do the investors need to contact other government ministries, departments or agencies to apply for relevant licenses/permits?

A: No. Investors do not need to contact any other government ministries, departments or agencies. All required licenses/permits/approvals can be acquired from the One-Stop-Service-Center located inside the Thilawa Special Economic Zone.

Q: Do investors need to apply for import/export license each time they want to import like others in Myanmar?

A: No. Investors need to register the list of materials they want to import in advance with the Thilawa SEZ Management Committee. These lists can be in the form of (a) Master list, which is the list of machinery and equipment to be imported duty free (b) Material list, which is the list of raw materials, and (c) BOM list, which is the bill of materials showing what and how much raw materials are used for the manufacturing of one product. These lists can be regularly amended. The importation of materials in the above-mentioned lists do not require import license at all.

Q: How could an investor be registered as a Free Zone investor?

A: An investor needs to export at least 75% of the production in value to be registered as a Free Zone investor, who is eligible to enjoy seven-year tax holidays. The companies such as logistics that support export-oriented manufactures can also be free zone companies. Domestic oriented manufacturing companies are regarded promotion zone companies and they are eligible to enjoy five-year tax holidays.